What Are Dosing Pumps?
Accurate dosing of chemicals is a critical part of the production process in many different industries. Whether in a rugged process like wastewater or sludge treatment, or a sterile pharmaceutical process, dosing exactly the right amount of chemicals, at the correct rate, is crucial in ensuring process and product safety, reliability and efficiency.
That’s where dosing pumps come in. Dosing pumps are designed to pump a very precise amount of a chemical or substance into a water, steam or gas flow, at a steady and controlled rate. They are typically small in size, and constructed of stainless steel, chemical resistant plastic, rubber, or a combination of these. While the specific design varies by make and model, dosing pumps include a tank or chamber to hold the dosing substance, a dosing line, and an injector with one-way valve.
Dosing pumps are controlled by either an external control system, or, more commonly, by an internal pump controller. Today’s intelligent dosing pumps have a high technology drive and adjustment mechanisms to handle increasing complex dosing. An example of such technology is the Grundfos SMART Digital series, with flow control, pressure monitoring and automatic flow adaptation. With the correct controls, these pumps can even provide variable rate dosing.
Where and how are dosing pumps used?
Dosing pumps have a wide range of applications across a number of industries. They vary in design according to their function. However, they are generally used for one of two basic functions:
- To inject a chemical or substance in order to cause a chemical or physical reaction. Examples might include adding an acid to water to balance the pH, or adding a solution to kill bacteria during water treatment.
- To accurately add a chemical or substance to a fluid stream in order to make products. This helps ensure the consistency and quality of the product.
Industries that use dosing pumps include:
- Commercial buildings
- Drinking water treatment
- Food and beverage
- Large water and wastewater treatment
- Metal and equipment manufacturers
- Municipal and industrial water treatment
- Pulp and paper
Dosing pump applications include:
- Agricultural irrigation
- Biological treatment
- Boiler feed
- Chemical treatment
- Cooling and refrigeration
- Disinfection and pH adjustment
- Flocculation and aeration
- Sludge treatment
- Substance removal
- Washing and cleaning
- Water disinfection
- Water treatment
C&B Equipment offers a wide selection of Grundfos smart digital, mechanical and complete dosing systems to suit your application. With their quality construction and innovative electronics, Grundfos dosing pumps are recognized for their value and reliability. Contact us today and let us help you find the best solution.